How to learn English?
So, you want to learn English – but you are not sure where to start? Don’t worry, there are lots of tips and tricks that will help you with answering the question ‘’how to learn English?’!
How to learn English for Beginners
If you are a complete beginner when it comes to learning English, start off with some fun exercises in the comfort of your own home! You can try some of these things quite easily:
- Sing along to records on the radio or practice some Karaoke;
- Read an English text or newspaper article out loud;
- Watch videos or DVDs that have subtitles and then watch without the subtitles later;
- Play English games such as Monopoly;
- Surround yourself with English on TV, radio or via your computer – it will help you get used to the sound of the words. Kid’s programmes are great as they tend to use simple words and basic language.
Of course, taking an English course run by an experienced teacher is always the best way to improve quickly your language skills. These tips will help you feel a bit more confident when speaking English.
How to improve your English language skills
Let’s assume you know some basic English – after all, you are reading this! – but you want to improve. What should you do? The best thing is to make a plan. What should your plan include?
- Set your goals. If you know why you want to study a language, setting goals is easy. For example, you may be planning to travel to an English-speaking country. Or you may want to speak to friends via Skype. Or maybe you are looking for a job? Perhaps you want to improve your listening skills and pronunciation. Whatever your goals are, write them down.
- Decide your learning level. Do you have a deadline, which means you have to cram in as many hours as possible in a few weeks? Maybe you work full-time and can only spare an hour every day. Do you need peace and quiet to learn at home, or are you happier in a group? Be realistic, otherwise, it is easy to give up.
- Have fun! We learn best when we are enjoying something. If learning isn’t fun, it is hard to keep motivated. You can take it seriously, but you can still reward yourself along the way.
How to learn English?
Learning English or another language includes four elements: listening, speaking, reading and writing. For many people, they are easiest in that order; you listen before you try to speak, and read before starting to write. But you may be different! There is no right or wrong way to learn English. Learning with other people who have a similar level of skill to your own is recommended. That way, you will not feel like you are the only one. Language centres and schools can group you with other students who are at the same level. You can also opt for individual lessons if you prefer. Good luck learning English!
Would you like to take an English language course? Join MixTree Languages and start improving your English language skills!